With v2.0, the menubar lists got unusable by keyboard

In this update, the menu bar control panels are redesigned and improved.

Imho, the control panels got more feature rich, but not improved.

Before v2.0, tasks in the “Recent Tasks” menu could be activated by a single number keystroke.
Moving the start back xx minues or stopping the task xx minutes ago required very few keystrokes.

Now, I need to navigate to the desired task with the arrow keys.
“Move start back” and “Stop timer”, which I frequently use, seem to be impossible to reach by keyboard.

Could you please introduce an option to get back the old, efficient, menu?

Using the other “Task List” menu also got more complicated. Before the update, I could navigating to a task with the arrow keys and activate it with space. Now, space is sent to the search bar and activating a task seems to require a mouse click.

Thank you for your work!

These are excellent points, thank you!

Could you please introduce an option to get back the old, efficient, menu?

The old menu was based on the NSMenu class, which Apple rewrote completely for macOS Sonoma. Maintaining it became a pain after that. That’s the main reason I had to replace it.

Now, I need to navigate to the desired task with the arrow keys.
“Move start back” and “Stop timer”, which I frequently use, seem to be impossible to reach by keyboard.

I have implemented better keyboard navigation now, allowing to reach “Move start back” and “Stop timer.” I will release an update soon.

Before v2.0, tasks in the “Recent Tasks” menu could be activated by a single number keystroke.
Moving the start back xx minutes or stopping the task xx minutes ago required very few keystrokes.

I can add shortcuts to start the “Recent Tasks” again. Single number keystrokes are impossible because they would go to the search tasks field. But I could use ⌘0, ⌘1, … Would this be helpful for you?

Using the other “Task List” menu also got more complicated. Before the update, I could navigating to a task with the arrow keys and activate it with space. Now, space is sent to the search bar and activating a task seems to require a mouse click.

I’m unable to reproduce this behavior. Here, the space key does start the timer for a task. Please check again under which conditions this occurs.

The old menu was based on the NSMenu class, which Apple rewrote completely for macOS Sonoma. Maintaining it became a pain after that. That’s the main reason I had to replace it.

Ok, I can fully understand that.

I have implemented better keyboard navigation now, allowing to reach “Move start back” and “Stop timer.” I will release an update soon.

Thanks, looking forward for it! :slight_smile:

But I could use ⌘0, ⌘1, … Would this be helpful for you?

Yes, definitely! I’d suggest to print them right-aligned next to the color in the “Recent Tasks” list in the menu.

I’m unable to reproduce this behavior. Here, the space key does start the timer for a task. Please check again under which conditions this occurs.

It only occurs if the search bar is already active because another character was typed.
If tasks are directly selected from the full list, space still works to activate them, as you wrote.

Thanks for your reply!
The update is now available on the App Store.
Let me know if the keyboard navigation works for you…

It works, thank you very much!

1 Like